Sunday, October 11, 2009

Leo, Leo



I watched Edward Zwick's "Blood Diamond" and Martin Scorsese's "The Departed" this week, and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Though, on hindsight, "enjoyed" might not be the perfect word considering the length of time with which I had my heart on my throat from all that suspense. Okay, let me rephrase, then, and say that I was much affected by the scenes, the themes, the exposition, the lines, and the acting. It's difficult to write about a movie when one isn't well-versed in film criticism lingo.

I know, I know, I'm being apologetic again. Defensive, even. Sorry.

Anyway.

I confess to never having been a Leo fan prior to watching the above movies. He, for me, belonged in that same category as Brad Pitt and Aga Muhlach, with everybody (or the girls, at least) gushing about how good-looking they are and I never really getting what the fuss was all about. The film I most associated his name with (in those times) was "Titanic" and, yeah, in terms of acting, Leo doesn't really get far with that.

Then along came "Revolutionary Road", which made me do a double-take. He was good there. Though his role and portrayal of it was not as memorable as what he did and how he did in "The Departed". His role as Billy Costigan clinched his acting caliber for me. Still dazed from the suspense and thrill I got from the movie, I went, like, yeah, this guy does have something to offer.

No comments: