Tuesday, March 8, 2011

from the weekend couch:

Mark Romanek, 2010

The artist's mind is a terrible, beautiful thing. This line germinated and went floating in my thoughts for approximately an hour and a half after watching this film, and only sleep made it go away.

I'd been waiting to watch the film after reading the book three and a half years ago, can still remember that it was twilight when I finished it and that the twilight I finished it in was an orange one and that I was sitting outside, hunched on a chair and fighting back tears. It's funny how certain memories stay with us with such vividness. And this film, like the book, will certainly stay with me: its images, snippets of its lines, Carey Mulligan's brilliant acting, how everything is so understated and quiet and yet so heartbreaking and conveys so much despair. I'd say that Mark Romanek's direction and Alex Garland's screenplay did complete justice to Ishiguro's dystopia.


So depressing and yet so beautiful! Makes me want to finish my half-read A Pale View of Hills.