Monday, April 2, 2018

Marginalia


Never ignore the footnotes is a line
I love well. He always read them
last, I did as the author told, 
my heart fluttering at the sight
of the tiny numerics linked by almost
visible threads to the definitives at the bottom. 
The almost, I often went beyond:
presumptive and co-author, 
admiring critic, worshipping student--I wrote
on the margins as if 
I had the right to those spaces. 
I underlined, put checkmarks and crosses,
insisting while he shook
his head at my dog ears, clicking
his mute, disdaining tongue 
at my clumsy scribbles:
This is foreshadowed by the preceding stanzas;
still, it is jolting enough.
I tore the page and hid
it in a box.

This footnote says:
Adjective. amoureux (feminine singular amoureuse, masculine plural amoureux, feminine plural amoureuses). 
we are subject and reader
I show you the words and you nod
at the childhood I have let you into,
the years I had written after the brackets
dividing time into epochs, an epic of a life:
a tiny ballerina twirling under friendly lights;
the singing child, singing her way to adulthood;
a girl with eyes that stared, wistful, at the moon;
the disillusioned grown-up, gathering her losses;
the woman who lived, the woman
who lives. 

You read the page--footnote, 
marginalia, pointing at the brackets--
you can write more here,
and I jot down:
You are  my
stream of consciousness.







No comments: