Friday, January 11, 2008

In Praise of Work and the Friends We Find There

After a long week at work, it's finally my rest day. Am still recovering from the after-effects of a long break but, all in all, I feel happy about myself (in the workplace, at least). Considering the demons I'm trying my hardest to ward off right now, I'm handling it all relatively well.
I attended two conference calls with the US team, and, in both, I managed to speak up more than the usual self-effacing Shan did, and got good feedback from my bosses. But, more important than that, I'm finally getting to really love my job. I've been watching more of CNN lately and knowing about the Mortgage slump in the US has proven helpful in making me understand how critical it is for my department to be working even harder now more than ever, and for me to use a more strategic and less conventional approach in managing my team.
Our jobs usually suffer when we go through personal trials, but in the end, it proves to be just the therapy that we need in order to get by. My friends in the office have given me so much motivation and helpful advice. Or, if you will, just plain laughter and light moments, which is really all that our heavy, worry-laden minds need, most of the time. Special thanks to my friend Lizette, who, herself, is at a crossroads in her life, but still manages to pop up at just the right moments and linger for a while to provide some wise words and lots of comic relief. Hang in there, girl! We're both gonna make it!

No comments: