Sunday, August 23, 2009

Kim

This afternoon, I lifted my 7-year-old so he could sit on the grocery cart. Boy, was he heavy! I had to do a take 2. We were both laughing during and after the exercise and as I gave him a kiss on the nose, I asked him, "when did you get so heavy, little boy?"

Does every blowing breeze take something away with it that it's gone before we even had the chance to know that a breeze had blown by? When we blink, does something get lost in the split second so that the something "disappears before our very eyes"? Are we such incognizant beings that moments get stolen from us under our very noses?

Questions.

I had to lift him out of the cart when it was time to pay at the cashier. For the briefest of moments, I held him close and took a whiff of his baby powder-scented cheek and whispered a silent prayer, "don't grow up so fast. Be mommy's baby for as long as you can."

And then he hugged me and tried to lift me. When I laughed, he said, "Mommy, when I'm older, I will lift you. Promise."

3 comments:

Pinangat said...

aaw. i've been having separtion anxiety attacks for the longest time now...the downside of being a mom is realizing that your kids are growing up really fast. =(

Adri said...

You're making me cry...

CHANSONATA said...

Fens, It's like we're proud that they're learning so much so fast and yet we'd give anything to stop time and just cuddle them like babies forever!

Tin, I myself was teary-eyed while I was writing this...