Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mommy matters

I bought my daughter her second pair of gladiator sandals last Saturday. She loved them, of course--she seems to love everything I get for her. And she wore the new pink-and-brown semi-jumpsuit I got for her last week. I told her, "you're so pretty!" and she said, "you too, mommy!"

Asus. hee.

So, anyway, we spent one-fourth of Sunday afternoon singing to Miley's "Party in the USA" at our favorite Starbucks. In as much as I want her to be all Broadway-ish and pop-free--I stuffed her mp3 player with Broadway and musical tunes--I am aware that my daughter is a kid and that she does, and would eventually, hear pop all over and would pick out ones that she likes, no matter how I try to "educate" her on what's good music and what's not. This is not to say that pop is bad, per se, though the kiddie pop nowadays can be irritatingly, well, pop (yeah, yeah, too many pops right there). And "Party in the USA" is quite catchy and "sing-able", I have to admit. So, I guess that's not too bad.

I'm debating with myself whether or not to teach her Tori Amos, Aimee Mann and the other angry female musicians (when she gets older, of course). I wouldn't trade them for Rihanna, et al, but I'm not altogether sure if my daughter would benefit from all that "angriness."

But, let's see. Jackie's only 10, anyway. Let the kids have fun. Miley could only do so much damage.

I hope.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

napangiti ako dito. :) my daughter's turning 5 this coming cruelest month. ngayon she likes lady gaga (ok naman sa akin si l.g.). ang hindi ko lang talaga mabibili kahit anong pilit niya ay ang album ni willie r. (suki kasi sa bahay ng nanay ko ng wowowee. hay.)but who knows, i might just one day buy her that willie r. album hehe.

CHANSONATA said...

Hahahaha kakaloka ang mga bata ngayon. Yah, Lady Gaga is ok, my daughter likes her, too.

Is your daughter a Pisces?

=)

Unknown said...

kung tama ako, sa western astrology, aries siya. :)

CHANSONATA said...

Ah.

Unknown said...

teka, why did you ask pala?

CHANSONATA said...

#1: because I'm a Pisces (my birthday is March--I take it her birthday falls somewhere after the 20th so she's Aries?) and feel a "kinship" towards fellow Pisces peeps

and

#2: because I have a thing for astrology.

Those being said, may I know what your zodiac sign is?

=D

Unknown said...

i see. uy, malapit na bday mo, march when? :)

ril's bday is on the 6th of april and i'm a scorpio.

CHANSONATA said...

Ah, Scorpio. March 14 ako. Ikaw, October ba? We're both water signs, then. Ril for Rilke, right?

Unknown said...

yep, october. 27. haha, ayan, alam mo na, obligado kang magregalo. :)

yep, maria rilke.

lapit na bday mo. yr of the snake ako. ikaw? :)

CHANSONATA said...

Monkey, I think. Am not that familiar with Chinese astrology. Sure, regalo lang pala e.

=D

Yah, I remember reading about your daughter in one of your posts, from way back pa and I remember thinking, too, ang interesting naman ng name ng baby girl, Maria Rilke.