Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Away

"silence, and the keenly musical light/ of sudden nothing..." -E.E. Cummings-


The evenings and the nights have not been good to me; they've been almost as cruel as the days have been. When I do get to hoodwink sleep, I'd wake up in two hours. 

It's one dream per night, now, too. I could still recount them, could still remember the faces peopling the stories, except that I could not name the strangers strewn here and there, every now and then. 

Just last night, I was almost sure I felt someone--something--sit on the empty space of the bed. The gentle push of (its) weight shook me out of the precious sleep I had so long tried to woo, an hour and a half prior. I am not easily scared. But I did feel the fingers of fear touch me. I turned on my phone's mp3 and left it on until drowsiness, once again, took over. 

And then it was 7 a.m. and I was almost grateful for the moon's unannounced absence.

No comments: