Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lit Geek Update #7


Hurrah pour moi!

I never thought I'd be able to go back to my books, but whaddya know, am reading again! This time, it's Ursula Hegi's short story collection Hotel of the Saints. It's a quaint little book full of quaint little people and colorful little lives (but what life is little, eh?).

I loved her in Stones From the River and even more in Intrusions and, judging by the four or so stories I've read, so far, this collection promises to be worth the while.

I just hope I'd have the diligence to see the book through until the last page, and not let it meet the same fate as Isaac Bashevis Singer's Gimpel the Fool and Other Stories, half of which I read during some waiting stint in Starbucks, and the rest of the lot, well, I never really got to finish.

A half-read book (especially if it's a good one) is a sad thing.

2 comments:

Miguel said...

Not finishing a good book sucks. It's been more than a month since I last touched the book I'm reading, Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale". I guess I'm too lazy to read nowadays. Pity. Not that I didn't like it; I just got tired of reading too much, I guess. I've been telling myself to open it again, but there have been too many distractions lately. Point is, I empathize, but I would also love to read a book review from you again in the near future.

;-)

CHANSONATA said...

It's sad, I don't at all recognize the title, or the author. Hmm. Just goes to show how narrow my reading scope has become.

Thanks for expressing interest in my "reviews," though I'm afraid they're not really much.
;p