Sunday, August 17, 2008

Shrimp Tales (and then some)


Yesterday, when I went on a trip to Festival Mall, I wasn't at all planning to bargain-hunt. As it turned out, however, I was able to snag a few items for half the price!

My main destination was Shopwise, as I had contemplated, for a good quarter of the day, to have hilabos na hipon for dinner. I love shrimps dearly and I hadn't had any for quite some time. Back in Naga, my brothers and I, being shrimp junkies, would spend close to two hours on the dining table, devouring a sizeable quantity of shrimps (pasayan in Bikol). Daddy, being the kind of father that he is, would snitch just a few, then leave the rest to his shrimp-crazy kids. My mom, of course, would snub it (and its high cholesterol content) altogether.

Anyway.

So there I was, on my way to the grocery, trying my hardest to keep my path straight. It was sale weekend and I had promised myself that I wouldn't buy any article of clothing, footwear or accessories, nothing along that line. Alas, I happened (yeah, right) to pass by Kamiseta, and found that my feet were inching their way towards its wide-open door.

A quarter of an hour later, I emerged with my loot: two dresses with "50% off" marks on their tags!

I then made my way, as fast as I could, to Shopwise' seafood section, determined not to have any more detours. And what do you know, the shrimps were on sale, too! Originally priced at P500 a kilo, they had been marked down to P380. I bought half a kilo and then made my way home. Along the way, I went dreaming of the feast that dinner was going to be, and wished that I would have enough restraint in eating the dear crustaceans, as I had been reminding myself lately to go easy on food.

I had wished in vain, though. Shrimps and restraint don't seem to go well together.

No comments: