Sunday, March 1, 2009

Perfume

The morning's wee hours proved the perfect time to watch "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer."

I was a clean slate (read: had no idea what the movie was about) when I watched it. I was glued to "Dangerous Minds" and then saw the flashing "next on Star Movies: Perfume" thing on the top left of the screen and thought "Perfume" seemed like a nice movie title. So, I decided to watch it.



My fascination with scents found a framework in this 2006 film, where the protagonist is an olfactory savant whose obsessive pursuit of the perfect scent (after having discovered that he, ironically, has no scent of his own) drives him to turn to unconventional (to say the least) methods. His detachment from everything else unnerved--and enthralled--me. There was something mystical about him, and something amoral, at the same time.

Directed by Tom Tykwer ("Run, Lola, Run"), this movie was adapted from Patrick Suskind's 1985 best-selling novel. It stars: Ben Whishaw as Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, Dustin Hoffman as Giuseppe Baldini and Alan Rickman as Antoine Richis.

Click here for information on Enfleurage.
But watch the movie first!

No comments: