Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harry, Harry


Once again, I must ask too much of you...

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" was a real winner. Kids probably won't enjoy it as much as they did the first couple of episodes, as this one is much, much darker. The themes it explores--and the way with which the movie is executed--are, decidedly, for the older crowd. A few have complained about its lack--well, compared to the first ones--of scoring and, dig this, "too much dialogue"! Whoa! So what were they expecting--all spells and fights and flying?! Exposition, folks, exposition!

There may be a few tears waiting to fall for the soft-hearted ones--I know I felt a lump in my throat in the movie's final scenes--and adults forcing themselves to "grow up, grow up!" might end up with some double-taking and mulling over to do. The magic of Harry Potter is that its magic almost always gets to people. Even non-fans have confessed to have been moved by it. Impeccable cinematography and an almost flawless casting are, of course, very essential pluses.

I heard the last book will be broken down to 2 movies. We have some waiting to do, then.

Meanwhile, let's all kindle that child-like belief in magic. I know it'll get us through the long wait.
;)

***

I'm glad to note that Roger Ebert who, so I'm told, is not really a Harry Potter Fan, still thinks it a good film. Click here to read his thoughts on it. I had to shake my head, though, when I read what he had to say about Daniel Radcliffe's acting, though he did have a point. Being "the chosen one" in the middle of such a powerful cast and standing up to the expectations coming with and tailing after such a role is a tall, tall, order.

So, if only for that, I'm completely with ya, Daniel.

No comments: