Monday, August 16, 2010

Mais, c'est La Vie en Rose!

Last night, I fell asleep to the soundtrack of "Amelie". Watching "An Education" has definitely put me into a spin of everything French. I love things that have something French in them. In "An Education", Jenny, the main character, had a fondness for things French, saying things in French, falling in love in France, singing along to French songs. And she was an English Major who loved reading and writing, her room filled with books, her life filled with books. I love movies with books in them, where the characters are writers, or write every once in a while, or read tons, or fall in love with writers, or write papers about Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester. (insert sigh here)

Which led me to a good quarter of an hour of musing about my life, and how I'm alone right now and how I came to the point where I realized that being on one's own can be a beautiful thing. You know, you do what you want, you eat what you want, you watch movies which have the things you like in them and there'd be no one to laugh at you, movies like "You've Got Mail" where Kathleen,  the heroine (oh, how old-fashioned, but I love it!) owns a bookstore and knows and loves the books she sells and talks about them with affection as if they were people dear to her.

Knowing what the things are that are dear to you, it is a wonderful feeling. Having them surround you, as if they were well-loved flowers in your very own garden, is priceless. For what price can you put to that warm, indescribable feeling that sweeps over you when you wake up and see the sunlight inching its fingers into the cover of your favorite book, which you left lying on your bed when you fell asleep the night before?

And, oh, Edith Piaf's "Milord" is simply a delight!

No comments: