Thursday, December 17, 2015

Soul-like, something slips from my grasp and goes to you. A promise? A sigh? A question?

Something--a word, a phrase. I cannot quite be sure. With you, I never am.

How suddenly, surprisingly sad, the word parallel.

Step forward. Retreat. What dance is this, what chase, game, subterfuge?

We were walking along a tree-lined path. We were looking at the sea. We were tracing the stars with our eyes.

We were. We were. I run my fingers along these words--the texture, painful, scratching my skin.

Something in me reaches out to touch you and I draw back, empty-handed.

This, I understand: I am lost in a loss of my own making.

3 comments:

FEDS said...

You reached out. Why did you draw back? Now we are both empty handed. Your loss is now my loss. This was no game to me. I saw you step forward yet I did not know the way to go. Now I lay here, a future in tatters. A future that would have covered those years of pain and torment. Oh yes, I now feel the loss. What have you done to my mind and heart in only a breath of time. I think therefore, would I have changed anything? No! This must be how it ends. It must be. No! I would change the end. She says, "Something in me reaches out to touch you and I start to draw back when he takes my hand". Yes, and I will not let her go.

CHANSONATA said...

Beautiful writing!

FEDS said...

Hmmm...what have you done to my mind and my heart...