Friday, December 5, 2008

Yes, I'm a Snob (and aren't we all, to a certain extent?)



1. I only watched "Friends" after it finished airing on TV.
2. I took no interest in The Da Vinci Code--except, perhaps, at scorning it--and I have no plans of reading it. Same goes for Paulo Coelho, et al. And no thanks, Sophie Kinsella. There are a million other far, far better books waiting to be read.
3. Seems like every other girl's into gladiator sandals these days. Ergo, I will not buy nor wear gladiator sandals.
4. Au revoir for life, Friendster!
5. Haven't watched a single episode of "Sex and the City."
6. What's the fuss over this Twilight thing? So far, most of the reviews I've read (Rotten Tomatoes, anyone?) point to one thing: that it sucks, big time!

I did watch (and loved) The Lord of the Rings trilogy, though,and read the entire set (including The Hobbit), to boot!

I find Harry Potter some notches above "moderately interesting" (am waiting for the next one!) but I'm a sucker for Spiderman.

I don't care one bit for Six Cycle blah and I absolutely abhor MYMP and the fact that they refuse to write songs of their own and instead insist on re-hashing those of other artists. Wait, the last line doesn't sound right. It's like saying they themselves are artists. Let me rephrase: they resort to singing, recording and making money out of other people's songs. There. Better.

I hate it when I'm grouchy. I become too honest. lol

No offense meant, folks. This is just me. I believe in democracy, freedom of speech and the freedom to choose.

Peace, y'all!

cartoon from this site.

2 comments:

Miguel said...

Every one of us has been a snob at one point. Some of us are just that way most of the time. Although growing older has made me believe in the "to each his own" philosophy, I still can't help it sometimes. This would be a better society if:

a) teenage girls are reading Jane Austen rather than the Twilight books.

b) today's music isn't so derivative.

c) most people would have just one original opinion.

Etc. Etc.

It doesn't piss me off now as it used to, but it sure as hell makes me shake my head in disbelief sometimes.

Bottom line is, it sucks to be a snob.

Makes me a tad more apart from the world than I need to be.

But yeah, I've read Dan Brown and Paulo Coelho. I envy you.

CHANSONATA said...

Some very interesting points you bring up here, David. Reading your comment and mulling over these things makes me realize that I should be thankful for the kind of environment my parents have brought me up in; that, for all the quirkiness it has bestowed on my personality, my Dad's determination to surround me with good books while I was a child--and while I was growing up--has brought about good results, in that I learned to be discriminating in my choice of what and what not to read. Add to that the fact that Music was an integral part of my growing up years (thank God my Dad has good taste!) and that I was given a constant exposure to the Arts.

I guess we are lucky to have been exposed to these stuff. And it makes me realize, as well, that it is wrong to judge people for the choices they make (and this goes for other aspects of life, as well). Perhaps that is why I was realistic enough to call myself a snob--because there will always be something negative in snobbery, something that, for all my snobbishness, I am quick enough--and honest enough--to recognize as such.

So, how was Dan Brown?