Friday, January 9, 2009

Shoes-ing: The death of the favorite pair

This morning, I woke up with the darkest, most hideous-looking under-eye circles ever. I mean, I've always had dark circles under my eyes but today's were fabulously ash gray! Oh, but the rice-Spanish sardines-white bagoong from Bicol combo breakfast made me forget them for a while. Yummy! (oh, but the pounds, ulk!)

Anyway, the above was a totally unrelated topic to the true subject of my post, which is something I had meant to blog about for the longest time, but just never came around to actually doing so. I'm talking about my all-time favorite shoes, which died a few weeks ago. They were actually dying many months before but I was in such a state of denial that I refused to acknowledge this fact and insisted on still wearing them even if they must've already been crying in agony for rest.

See, this Janilyn pair has been with me for years and years now and we've been through so many ups and downs together, seen tough times and happy times, rain and shine. I mean, we haven't always been the best of friends (the first few times I wore them, my feet spelled pain and blisters) but after the breaking-in period, everything became smooth-flowing. This pair had been my salvation whenever I found myself late for work and with no time to look for the shoes that matched my outfit as it looks good with practically anything.

I must've worn them to death, and now they're dead. Dead as dead can be, with no hope of ever coming back.

Just two weeks ago, I tried them on after dressing up, thinking, maybe it'll still work, just one last time. But sadly, when I slipped them on, I had the horrible feeling that the shoes were about to crumble so I gave up. Finally.

So I bought myself a new pair with the same color to make the grieving period a little easier.

It's a Charles and Keith pair, this time.


(left-the dead shoes; right-the new pair)

And while we're on the subject of shoes, the holidays brought me 4 pairs (3 pumps from Charles and Keith and dirt-cheap lace-up espadrilles from Artwork).



The maroon pair on the right was a gift from my co-wroker and dear, dear friend, Sheila. I love!

I still miss my old fave, though. But I know I have to move on, and move on, I will.

No comments: