Monday, April 20, 2009

Let's Talk

A and I have been "talking" via our blogs, she having written a post about what she would tell her 16-year-old self should they get the opportunity to have a conversation. Tough chance, I know, but still, it's a whimsical and very pretty thought.

This got me thinking about my 16-year-old self and here I am, trying to think up things I'd say to her should we ever have the chance to meet.

I'd probably tell her:

1. to take her writing post at the school paper more seriously;
2. to study, study, study, especially the Math lessons she'd taken for granted for so long;
3. to quit whining about the trivial, frivolous so-called "problems" she's facing daily--there's much, much more to come and she'd better save those tears for when they'd really need to be shed;
4. to listen to her mom and dad--they're right, most of the time, didn't she know that?
5. to go out some more and not confine herself to her room, much like the hermit that she was;
6. to smile more, laugh more;
7. to throw away those over-sized shirts and start buying girly tops;
8. to sing, sing, sing;
9. eat all the 3M palabok she can possibly eat because she's gonna miss it horribly when she's older and far, far from home; and
10. to stay a child for as long as she could because adulthood will last ever so much longer and by then it'll be too late to regret not having stayed a kid when she had the chance to.

She probably wouldn't listen, though. She'd be too far away, too caught up in her stubborn little shell of adolescence.

She's one to dig her heels pa naman.
Hay.

7 comments:

Pinangat said...

Had we known then what we know now...

CHANSONATA said...

... you think we would have known better if we knew? (awkward, I know, but I know you get it--hahaha what's with the know, knew, known).

:)

Adri said...

Those over-sized shirts were 'uso' back then!

I wonder if my 16-year-old self would actually listen to me. Perhaps I should send her a letter first? Set up an appointment so as not to scare her? :P

I'm turning 30 tomorrow...sheesh. Back then, 30 seemed...I dunno...ancient. But that would be a great birthday present though...to spend one day in the past...

*Sigh* One can only dream...

cat with the fiddle said...

like we always say and moan about... if we only knew then what we knew now. i'd tell my 16-year-old self to take a science course in college. some obscure science course. which should mean i ought to tell my even younger self to kick herself off to science high and try to take that test.

come to think of it, what if i meet my 18-year-old, 12-year-old, and 7-year-old selves? i wonder if we'd enjoy each other's company?

CHANSONATA said...

How would it be if we could all live our lives backwards?

Adri said...

Hmmm...kinda like Benjamin Button? We'd start out old? And not just physically?

So...when (hah! when and not if!) I find (or make) that time machine, I'm taking you guys with me...

CHANSONATA said...

Bring it on, girl! We'll be waiting!
=)