Friday, April 3, 2009

Rachel Getting Married


I am not well-versed in matters about film and I've only recently discovered that Jonathan Demme was the director of "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Philadelphia". This piece of information made me go, "hmm..."

I felt embarrassed because despite a friend's recommendation that I watch it, I had shrugged "Rachel Getting Married" off as a chick flick just because Anne Hathaway was in it (such a stupid conclusion, I know). I ate my words, yes, and, along with them, several huge, painful lumps of emotion.

I did not at all feel that my intelligence was being insulted--the movie made me think and ask questions, one after another. Its raw depiction of reality, and all the ugliness and pain that comes with it, at times became too much for me, but perhaps that is where it succeeds most. The script is superb (Jenny Lumet did a wonderful job) in that it is devoid of sugar and sap, yet--and perhaps owing to that--the movie hit home, right where it should.

Being the opinionated, thinking human being that I was, I empathized with the main character so much to the point of hating almost everyone else in the film. The thought of depressed people being judged by other people depressed me to almost below zero (or zero, then, alright). But then again, with the movie climaxing, and my emotion-blinded brain clearing up, I realized, hey, depression isn't--and will unlikely be--a low-hanging fruit that anyone could just reach out for and put in the palm of one's hand as if it were the most ordinary thing in the world. Very few people would recognize it for what it is, least of all acknowledge that they are afflicted with it, so expecting the sane to understand would be like telling someone to chew on broken glass and expecting them to do it.

Whew.

This movie hit me hard. I'd recommend a hankie, or a pack of tissue, should you decide to give it a try. They just might come in handy.

=)

2 comments:

Miguel said...

Strangely, I loved this movie. While you pondered more on the characters and situations, I was more focused on the technical side of the movie. I thought it was brilliantly made.

For me, this was a visual feast, and I'm using "visual" in its purest meaning. I was never a big fan of special effects, and I'd take facial expressions, clever framing devices, and logical use of a handheld camera over Zack Snyder's excessive use of CGI any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And yes, my heart sank as well during some parts. Painful.

CHANSONATA said...

I tend to do that, probably because I know nothing about a film's technicalities. I generally go by how I feel while and after watching a movie and whether it makes me think, or not. I intend to learn more, though. =)

On a side note, I read a review where Demme's penchant for "casting embracingly" was discussed, here the question of race was tackled, something I also noticed while watching "Rachel..." I thought it a very interesting article. I will look for it and send you the link.