Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mulling Over My Week

My dad sent me a text message this afternoon, asking me what I did during the Holy Week and it got me thinking: what did I do this Holy Week?

It occurs to me that without having mapped out anything in particular, things simply conspired to provide me the "air" I needed for the culmination of Lent, namely: I came across "Jesus of Nazareth" while channel-surfing yesterday (Holy Friday) and decided to watch it (what remained of the 6-hour film, anyway), finding myself involuntarily reflecting on the world's current religious/spiritual state and, inevitably, leading me to ponder my current spiritual state;

and this morning, I finished reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, which is a seemingly tongue-in-cheek story told for laughs, but from which we just might get the reflections we seek in the other, more serious books of our faith and could not seem to find. Now, I started reading this book a few weeks ago, with no thought, at all, of the Holy Week and it strikes me as significant--even strangely calculated--that I should get to the final chapters (where the Christ's passion is relayed) during Holy Friday, and finish the book by Black Saturday.

Below are some lines in the afterword that had me musing:

"This story is not and was never meant to challenge anyone's faith; however, if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do." -p. 443-

Tomorrow, Easter comes. I wonder what'll be in store for me, then, and thereafter.

2 comments:

Monching said...

I can't seem to find a copy of that Biff book.

Amusing book, though. :)

CHANSONATA said...

I had so much fun with that book. Such a refreshing read. =)